Monday, March 9, 2009

Haircuts, budgeting, and random pictures

Those are about the highlights of this past week (if you can even call them highlights!).
Ellie was the lucky recipient of a haircut. She had been begging me for a few weeks, so I finally gave in. I took her over to the Super Cuts on Saturday morning and told the hair dresser that we wanted it cut in a bob a little below her chin. Well, this is what we got...Definitely not below her chin, but still a cute cut. She's a cute girl, and for some reason I like her hair better when it's shorter (maybe not this short- but oh well, it will grow)! Next will be Anna's turn. She's been begging just as much as Ellie, she just wasn't home Saturday morning to go with us.

We have some money saved up from tax returns and our monthly contribution to our savings account. Last night Bryan and I sat down and came up with a list of the things that we could spend that money on. The list included things like- the basement (trim & carpet), a treadmill, a deep freezer, a shed, a family vacation, a garden, and food storage. Now, one of the hardest things for me when it comes to budgeting is distinguishing between a "want" and a "need". So it was really hard for me to say "Yes, our food storage is more important than a treadmill". But in the end I think we got it all worked out in order of importance, with a good mixture of boring "needs" and fun "wants". So the treadmill might have to wait a little while until we either find a really good deal or a decent used one, but at least we'll get to take the kids on a small vacation.

It's not often that I find my kids playing quietly and nicely together. But that's exactly what I found on Sunday. Tyler was playing the Leapster and Ellie sat down to watch him- which usually results in someone getting mad. But not this time, I found this instead...They sat, head to head, playing together. I love it! It was so nice and peaceful in my house before church, which is not always the case. So thanks you two for being so nice to each other!

Kate is starting to figure out what the camera does, so now every time I try to snap a picture of her, she makes these crazy faces. She's such a fun little girl to have around!

5 comments:

Bailey said...

Oh boy those two top teeth of Kate's are almost through huh? She is such a cutie pie! Ellie's hair is super cute!

So when you say a small family vacation you mean a trip to San Antonio Texas right? You ca see the Alamo, Sea World, 6 Flags, Schlitterbahn. I know I'm tempting you!

Megan said...

Try out craigslist...you can ususally pick up used pieces of fitness equipment for next to nothing/free. You may also be able to find a pretty decent freezer for much better price than new. We've gotten a few things off it here and it's great.

Ware Family said...

I love that picture of Ellie and Tyler.
I love/hate budgeting. The good thing about being married to an accountant is knowing where every penny goes (and you know what I mean when I say EVERY penny)!
That is a really hard list to sort through as far as needs and wants. We have done that lots of times too, prioritizing, budgeting, putting fun things off for other things. It always works out. I second craigslist or ksl.com. You can find some good stuff for really cheap.

Bailey said...

Megan is right about craigslist. Denny and I just recently sold several pieces of work out equipment on it. Although not a treadmill.

Karena said...

I think that the haircut is really cute! My 5 year old has been wanting to get hers cut, but I am not sure that I am ready for that yet:-)
It is great when siblings get along. I understand how nice the quiet is!